I stumbled across this meatless meatball recipe a few weeks ago while browsing Pinterest (one of my all time favourite research sites!). I figured it could be a great dinner dish, but also could be interesting as a salad topper for my lunches throughout the week. The recipe looked super easy and I had most of the ingredients at home already- I just had to go pick up a pack of fresh mushrooms.
I finally decided to make them the other night when I was stumped on what to make for dinner and I’m happy to say that the dish turned out beautifully! The meatballs came out moist on the inside with a bit of a crispy outside crust. I always love to cook with mushrooms because of the meaty consistency they lend to a dish.
I chose to eat them on their own, covered in a spicy marinara sauce, but another option is to add some pasta to the mix and make a delicious spaghetti and “meatballs” inspired dinner. Either way you chose to enjoy them they’re packed with flavour and mimic a meatball perfectly. I got roughly 10 large meatballs out of my mixture, so I enjoyed them over a few dinners and a lunch or two during the week.
Fun tip- You can also freeze them in ziplock bags in sets of 2 and pull them out as needed when you’re looking for a quick, healthy meal!
Hope you enjoy!
**If you’re not gluten free or gluten sensitive, you can always use regular breadcrumbs as your binder.
This recipe modified from the Fit Foodie Mama’s Meatless Meatball recipe
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of gluten free Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Optional- fresh parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place black beans, mushrooms, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper and garlic powder into large bowl.
- Mash all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Grease a muffin tin with olive oil or butter. (I used a baking pan because I don’t have a muffin tin, so either will work)
- Roll mixture into small or medium size balls and place in the muffin tin or baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 12-15 for the smaller balls and 15-20 minutes for the larger ones, being careful not to let them dry out.
- Remove from oven and serve along with your choice of marinara sauce.
Makes approximately 15 mini “meatballs” or 8-10 larger “meatballs”.