I’ve been craving pizza the last few days and decided that I was going to indulge on Friday night. I mean, what’s better than a pizza dinner, right? I didn’t want to use regular dough, so when I saw that cauliflower was on sale at the grocery store, I decided it was time to finally try making a cauliflower pizza crust!
It was surprisingly more easy than I expected it to be, and the result was amazing! The pizza was delicious and I didn’t miss traditional dough one bit! Full disclosure though- if you want really guilty pleasure, greasy pizza, this isn’t the recipe for you. The dough is much lighter than regular pizza dough, so it doesn’t leave you with an incredibly heavy feeling when you’re done eating. It is however, pizza, and it’s delicious!
- 4 cups riced cauliflower- this will be one good sized head of cauliflower
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of salt
- ping of pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing the outer leaves and stem. Rinse the cauliflower with cool water, then place in a colander and shake to remove water. Break into small pieces.
- Place the cauliflower in your food processor then pulse until it is similar in size to pieces of rice.
- In a microwave safe bowl, put your riced cauliflower into the microwave and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, place one egg in a medium sized bowl and beat until completely mixed. Add the parmesan cheese and your spices, and mix well.
- Line an 11″ x 17″ pan with parchment paper. Brush the parchment paper with a bit of olive oil so that your crust doesn’t stick.
- Then place one to two cups of the cauliflower rice into a thin cotton dish towel and squeeze out the liquid. IMPORTANT! The cauliflower is very hot when it comes out of the microwave. Wait a few minutes for it to cool before completing this step.
- Once all the cauliflower is squeezed dry, mix together with the egg and cheese mixture.
- Place the cauliflower onto the parchment papered cookie sheet and form into a crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove your pan from the oven and rotate it. Put your crust back in the over and bake for another 7-10 minutes, until your crust is golden brown.
Now comes the fun part! Top your crust with your favourite toppings, pop back into the oven and keep cooking. I made a mushroom, olive and veggie pepperoni pizza which you can find the steps for below!
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- Pizza sauce (I used selection brand)
- Grated cheese (I used the selection brand Italian blend)
- Sliced black olives
- 10-12 slices of Yves veggie pepperoni
Optional toppings- Red chili flakes and parmesan cheese
- Spread a thin layer of your pizza sauce on your crust
- Top with half of your mushrooms and olives
- Sprinkle your cheese on top of your sauce and veggies
- Top with the remaining veggies and the Yves veggie pepperoni
- Bake in the oven at350°F for 10-12 minutes
- Once your cheese is melted and veggies are cooked, put your oven on broil and cook for 2-3 minutes keeping a close eye on your pizza.
- Take out of the oven, slice and enjoy!